Walking Holiday Spain
Walking Holidays Ronda Area
From your luxurious accommodation in a small Andalucian mountain village, set out each day to explore the ancient trails connecting traditional whitewashed pueblos blancos clinging to the hillsides of the Serrania de Ronda like a string of pearls.
Of all the holidays in Andalucia, this is probably one of the most rewarding. Our varied hikes take you through beautiful scenery. You can explore cultural wonders of Andalucia. And, most importantly, you will be fed the very best in Andalucian fare at Los Castaños!
We propose a holiday of either 3, 5, or 7 days. Take your pick from the suggested itineraries listed below.
WHAT´S INCLUDED IN THE HOLIDAY
- 3, 5, or 7 Days Luxurious accommodation in one of our beautiful rooms; the perfect place to relax after a long day walking the Sierra de las Nieves.
- A sumptuous breakfast (with vegetarian or vegan option available), including tea, coffee, and fresh fruit, each and every morning to prepare you for the day.
- A personalised schedule of 3,5, or 7 days of the best hiking in the Ronda Valley. Medium-level rambling accessible to all (can be modified to suit your abilities and motivation!)
- Hiking boots would be a good idea to bring but strong walking sandals also OK depending upon the time of year. No scrambling necessary.
- Upon your return from your daily walk, we serve you with a pre-dinner sherry or cocktail (John makes the best G & Ts) followed by a delicious three-course dinner with a bottle of local Ronda wine
- Whilst we love our guests to share the wealth and use local bars in the villages, some of the walks do not go through a village in which case we provide you with a picnic.
- Our walks are tried and tested and we give you detailed notes. And we are always available to help if you are unsure of the route or get lost. Just call!
- A small energy-efficient hire car is included for collection at Malaga airport.
- Should you run out of steam at any point during a walk, we will be glad to come and collect you.
- Ronda Tourist Ticket, Caminito entrance, Ronda guitar concert
WHAT´S NOT INCLUDED IN THE HOLIDAY
- TRAVEL INSURANCE WHICH IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IN CASE OF LAST MINUTE NEED TO CANCEL
- DAY OUT WITH OUR LOCAL ORNITHOLOGIST
- SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS APPLY
PRICES ARE PER PERSON FOR TWO PEOPLE SHARING A DOUBLE ROOM
10% per person payable upon reservation, remainder 60 days prior to arrival.
Please ask about our cancellation policies
7-DAY SUGGESTED ITINERARY
For fewer days, select what interests you most. We would be happy to help you organise your time effectively.
Pick up your rental car at the airport of your choice (Malaga, Sevilla, Jerez) and drive the 90 minutes to Cartajima using the detailed directions we supply (or be collected). A warm welcome with sherry awaits you before a three-course dinner with a bottle of delicious local wine
A 40 minute drive takes you into the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park where the spectacular walk takes you through ancient indigenous pinsapo pines, traditional restored icepit, and such varied wildlife including the wonderful griffon vultures, Europe´s largest bird. Views of the coast, Africa and Gibraltar. 8.0km / 3.5hr or 15.0km / 5hr your choice.
A city walk today as you go walk through the farming valley below Ronda and back up into and around the old city taking in historic monuments. A chance to do some shopping for leather, ceramics, and other local handicrafts. A concert of Spanish music is included but not required. 11 km – 3 hours or can be shortened
A rest day to explore the variety of cultural wonders of this area. After your leisurely breakfast, visit a paleolithic cave where our ancestors were marking the walls 30,000 years ago. Next fast forward to Roman Spain and the impressive site of old Ronda, Acinipo, Then on to a local vineyard for a tour and tasting followed by a late romantic lunch. Back home for a siesta and dinner by Di.
Today you visit what used to be the scariest walk in the world but has now been made safe, the infamout Caminito del Rey. Gasp at the dizzying heights and be amazed by the remains of the old pathway built when the dam was being constructed in the 19th century. We provide a picnic for you to enjoy en route.
HOW TO RESERVE
- Check availability by clicking on Book Now below
- Select the duration you require
- And the room you like best
- Fill in the not too arduous form
- That´s it!
However, for instant gratification and to ask any questions, just pick up the phone. We can confirm availability immediately and make the reservation for you.
Or use the Contact page to send us a message
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO EXPERIENCE
♣ Sweet chestnut groves and snow white painted villages presenting quintessential Andalucían scenes
♣ One of Andalucía’s most interesting and least known national parks, the Sierra de las Nieves
♣ The ancient cliff-top town of Ronda where cobbled streets and open-air cafes provide ample chances to rest, relax and soak up the stunning views over the gorge
♣ Delicious Western Mediterranean (a fusion of Spanish and North African flavours) dishes are served at the hotel taking the very best of Spain and Morocco to create some truly delectable meals
Note – the hotel recently won the Best Inland Hotel from the Gastronomic Academy Malaga
♣ Local Ronda wines, sherries from Jerez, and gins from Spain!
♣ Optional included activities: vineyard tour, visit to paleolithic cave, The Tourist Ticket for entry to many of Ronda´s historic sites.
♣ Optional not included activity – a day out with an ornithologist.